Monday, May 14, 2018

It starts with a Spark

Welcome to my new format - took me an extra week to work things out, but you know how that goes... I need a plan! So now I have one.

I will be posting writerly stuff each week: advice, woes, joys, and news. I also have a couple of recurring themes, like Compelling Characters and Hot Genres. But my favorite part is my Weekly Shout Out. These are the folks who have helped me along the way and people you should know, if you don't already! And if you'd like to be featured, just let me know.

Now, on to this week's starting post, appropriately:

It starts with a Spark.

"I have a great idea for a book..."
So many people think this. Probably everyone has thought it once or twice in their life, in some form or other. But only a small percentage act on it. And an even smaller amount of those actually finish writing a book. Then there are the very few and proud who get published.

And it all starts with the spark of an idea.

Most of my non-writing friends are impressed that I've written books. For about three seconds, then they move on with their own stories. I get it. We all have a jillion things going on in our lives to worry about and share with others to get through it all. That's why I'm so glad I have connected with other writers! I'd never have made it this far without them.

We all felt that spark. We acted on it and wrote a book! We edit and polish and labor over it, worrying if we are good enough to be called an author. And some of us are even published. We aren't in competition with each other - we all support one another and cheer each other on. We all know what it takes to be in the publishing industry. It's like baseball - a game of OVERCOMING FAILURE. We don't give up. WE WRITE ON!


And this helps me introduce my first
SHOUT OUT OF THE WEEK:


Michael and I have been blogging buddies for many years. And Julie Flanders and I even got to meet him in person! He's had many ups and downs in writing and in life, but he's a perfect example of how to OVERCOME! He doesn't let life keep him down. And recently, he WON 1st Place in the monthly WEP Writing Challenge!

Congrats, Michael! And keep writing!

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's cool you've met both Michael and Julie. Michael is certainly on a roll now with his new project.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Yeh for changing things up and for supportive fellow writers! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's a great way to change things up. Michael is very deserving.

Carrie-Anne said...

Congratulations to Michael! He's such a nice person, and really deserved that win.

cleemckenzie said...

No matter how many times we connect on social media, it's so wonderful to meet in person. There's something very special about that. I know I'd love to meet each of these writers in person! They look darned likable.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tara - it's great that we are a supportive bunch of bloggers - wonderful you've met Michael and Julie ... love their writing. Good luck to you all - cheers Hilary

Juneta key said...

Very cool. I like the set up of the post. Happy Writing.

Rhonda Albom said...

Congrats on your new format, style, and for sticking with that first spark.

Anonymous said...

That's cool you've met a blogging buddy. I have met a few writer friends over the years and it is awesome to get to talk face to face (once I get over my fear of meeting them.)

Heather R. Holden said...

Congrats on the shiny, new format! Sounds awesome. :)

And I agree about how supportive the writing community can be. Definitely helps make things feel less lonely!

Heather M. Gardner said...

Great new look, Tara!

I love seeing so much going on here! YAY!

Hi Michael!
Heather

Michelle Wallace said...

I'd love to meet Michael (...and you too, of course... as well as Julie!)
Great new format!

Popular Posts