Monday, February 20, 2012

Kick start Monday - Fade to Orange

Shadows crept across the wall through the skylight, the lone window of the dim lab. Kellian had only two hours to come up with a cure or Victor would exile him to Siberia.

He was no babysitter. Foolish, spoiled boy. He told him not to touch anything. Kellian glanced at the unconscious, orange six-year-old hellion. Innocent in sleep.

As Kellian stirred one more possible solution, Victor burst in with his two thugs. Early.

“What have you done?!”

“I told you this was no place for a child! I turned around for one second and…”

“No!” Victor rushed over to his son.

“I am working on an antidote. But what he drank should not have affected him this way.”

“You drink it!”

“But how will I…?”

“Drink it!”

Kellian shook his head. No use arguing. He should have studied computers. He picked up the flask of orange liquid.

“Wait! I know what happened.”

Victor smiled. “Drink it.”

“But…” Victor knew too. Kellian’s shoulders sank. He drank it.

As he fell to the floor, grasping his throat for air, nose bleeding, the devil child sat up and laughed.

Kellian’s eyes found the photo of the beach he longed for and everything faded.



So that was Rachael's first campaign challenge, hope you liked it!

Now I must tell you all about some upcoming events...
  • Monday, 2/27 - I hope you will stop by as I am hosting Laura Josephson and helping with her RISING series book launch!
  • Tuesday, 2/28 - Alex's release party!
  • Wednesday, 2/29 - Blurb me! I am celebrating you all, my 300+ followers. Drop by and leave me a few words about your latest WIP and win DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth!
  • But Rachael has a bigger list of things to do here

47 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait, was the orange kid just faking it? Ouch, that sucks for Kellian!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Everyone has gone in such a different direction with the prompts.
And thanks for mentioning my release party. One more week!

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Uh oh. Doesn't look good for Kellian, does it!!

Jess said...

Oh no! Poor Kellian! That definitely wasn't expected!! Great job!

I'm entry #19

David P. King said...

How diabolical. I expect nothing less from your awesome prose. Nice one! :)

Rek Sesh said...

Damn good entry...mean guys and poor Kellian pays the price. For a minute I thought of Snape.. :)

Krista McLaughlin said...

Poor guy, very tense situation! Great job!

S.P. Bowers said...

Very interesting! It's fascinating how many stories can all come from the same prompt.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Interesting story . . . totally unexpected.

Alyssa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alyssa said...

Poor Kellian! Very intense, great job! :)

I'm #39

Morgan said...

Dang! Kellian! You piqued my interest. Nice work ;)

Oh! And new follower... thanks also for your kind comment ;)

Carrie Butler said...

Ack! That was pretty darn intriguing for 200 words, Tara. Nice work! :D

Samantha May said...

I was completely not expecting that. Really well done! You definitely get a vote from me and I'm following you :)

Samantha
Writing Through College

Leigh Covington said...

I love reading your writing! You're amazing. Very unique.

M Pax said...

Nice twist with the orange boy. I love how you all came up with such different stories using the same prompts.

Skippy Bo Bippy said...

I love treachery in stories. :) Nice job.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Ha, nice twist. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Poor guy. I feel bad for him. This was a great piece. Good job.

Humpty Dumpty said...

I love how you made the boy orange. Very unexpected twist. Well done!

Christine Rains said...

I totally didn't expect the boy to be faking it! Nicely done.

Margo Kelly said...

Seriously ... was the boy just faking it? ARRRGG! :) Nicely done!

Ann Cory said...

Seriously cool! Truly enjoyed the creativity you showed with this short tale. Way to go :)

J.C. Martin said...

I love how everyone's got a completely different interpretation of the prompts! Good job, great suspense!

Mina Burrows said...

Great suspense. "Drink it!" Loved it. :)

Anonymous said...

I want to know who these people are. backstory please. Mine is # 71

Avery Marsh said...

Darn orange hellion. I hate how short these pieces are. I need to know the rest of the story. ;)

Sherri Lackey said...

Poor guy! That is frustrating! Interesting use of the color orange too!

kjmckendry said...

Love the ending, what a shock! :)

Charmaine Clancy said...

Little orange brat! I like this one :)
#83

Unknown said...

Nice twist, love a good surprise!

alexia said...

Evil little kid... very creative story!

Jessica Therrien said...

Very creative :) Loved the ending!

Nick Wilford said...

Seems like Kellian was set up. Very skilfully done, like it a lot!

Arlee Bird said...

Hmmm--that was creepy. And you evened managed the picture prompt. Nice!


Lee (#126 on the Campaign Challenge List)
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Anonymous said...

Oh heartbreak, I feel bad for the MC, I don't want him to die, (if he does). Great story!

Mark Koopmans said...

Ha! Awesome ending......don't mess with the orange devil!!

Traci Kenworth said...

So wonderful to read your story!!

Cortney Pearson said...

Lol, "He should have studied computers." What a great twist at the end!

Carrie said...

Love the twist!

MISH said...

Orange brat! Like a worse-nightmare-come-true scenario...
Great stuff!

Unknown said...

Enjoyed the twist, interesting!

Erin Kane Spock said...

That was totally creepy, and a unique approach to the prompt. How much worse would it have been if he'd defied orders? Bad enough for him to drink it even knowing what would happen, apparently.

Your submission has been short listed as a finalist. This is stage 2. Stage 4 will announce the winner.

Miranda Hardy said...

Congrats! You've been shortlisted as one of my top 2 to move on as a SEMI-FINALIST. Good luck!

Kerri Cuev said...

Congratulations, you have been chosen as a winner in the first Campaign challenge.

Rachael Harrie said...

Haha, lovely and creative Tara! I certainly didn't see that coming. And to think the boy was faking it - just to get him dead, I'm guessing O_O

I've awarded you Tenth Place overall in the Judging Round! A huge congrats to you, and don't forget to pop by my blog to see the prizes you've won :)

Hugs,

Rach

Mark Koopmans said...

Well done in the challenge!

Popular Posts